Wondering what you can do with a degree in English or a minor in Creative Writing or Journalism, Editing & Publishing? According to the experts and our graduates, the answer is: Anything and Everything!
Preparation for your future career can begin the moment you arrive on campus and begin your studies with us. As the department's coordinator for internships, Professor Elizabeth O'Connor will work with you in developing your career interests and opportunities long before you graduate. You can also use the extensive resources provided by the Center for Career Development.
The world needs more English majors! Check out this recent report in the Washington Post, "The world's top economists just made the case for why we still need English majors."
Career Paths for English Majors
- Associate, Booz Allen Hamilton, Inc.
- CEO, Rice Consulting
- Emergency Management Consultant, Create! Technical Communications Service
- Public Affairs Officer, U.S. Navy
- Publicist, February Media
- Senior Consultant, Cedar Crest Stone, Inc.
- Senior Marketing Project Manager, T. Rowe Price
- Digital Communications Director, DCCC
- Director, Premium Content, PureLinq
- Graphic Designer, Daniels Printing
- Information Specialist, Aerodyne Research, Inc.
- Information Technology, Board of Education, Summit, NJ
- Senior GIA Analyst, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Senior Technical Writer-Software, IDAX, Inc.
- Web Designer, Freddie Mac
- Assistant Editor, Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group
- Assistant Editor, UVA Magazine
- Associate Editor, National Geographic
- Chief Editor, Peter D. Hart Research Associates
- Copy Editor and Page Designer, Chesapeake Publishing & Printing
- Editorial Director, American Soiciety for Engineering Education
- National Accounts Manager, New Harbinger Publications
- Proofreader, Barton Cotton Holdings, LLC
- Senior Marketing Associate, Cambridge University Press
- Senior Technical Editor, Northrup Grumman
- Alternative Educator, Worcester County
- Assistant Director, Eastern Shore Food Lab
- Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach, Vassar College
- Coach and Teacher, Williamsport High School
- Collections Manager, Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
- English Teacher, Queen Anne’s County
- English Teacher, William Penn High School
- Head Teacher, Friendship Montessori
- Professor, Appalachian State University
- Professor, Penn State University
- Professor, Savannah Technical College
- Professor, Stevenson University
- President, University of Montevallo
- Professor, University of Virginia
- Reading Teacher, Stephen Decatur
- Secondary Teacher, Somerset County
- Senior Director of Development, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
- Special Education, Kent County Public Schools
- Teacher, Baltimore County
- Teacher, Howard County
- Teacher, Talbot County
- Teacher Specialist, Harford County
- Columbia University (Columbia Publishing Course)
- Northwestern University (MA Journalism)
- Rutgers University-Newark (MFA)
- University of Alabama (MFA)
- University of Arizona (PhD Rhetoric and Composition)
- University of Florida (MFA)
- University of St. Andrews, Scotland (MA English)
- University of Vermont (Law)
- University of Virginia (Law; MA English)
- Culture Writer, Mashable (NYC)
- Editor, Axios Charlotte (NC)
- Editor, Live Journalism, Wall Street Journal
- Reporter, Rapid City (SD) Journal
- Reporter, Delmarva Media Group
- Reporter, Delaware Business Times
- Author, Putnam Publishing Company
- Author, Schiffer Publishing
- Freelance Writer
- Novelist and Associate Director of the Literary House, Washington College
- Novelist and Professor, University of Houston
- Technical Writer, Route Smart Technologies
- Attorney, Diamond, Piano, Cardo, King, and Peters
- Attorney, Kenton County Circuit Court
- Clerk, Baltimore County State’s Attorney
- Clerk, Rasin & Wootton, LLC
- Maryland District Court Judge
- Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice
- Accountant, SallieMae, Inc.
- Certified Public Accountant
- Director of Finance and Operations, National Alliance on Mental Illness
- General Manager, Bob Pascal’s Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
- President, Weber Shandwick Worldwide
- Senior Manager, Amazon
- Supervisor, John Hancock Insurance Company
- Vice President, JP Chevrolet
Emily HoltClass of 2019 • Corporate Communications
- Class of 2019. BA in English
- Experience Manager at Simpli, Baltimore, MD
- Emily works with property management firms in Baltimore to enhance amenities offered to tenant companies. She also works with real estate brokerage firms to manage public relations and corporate gifting
ENGLISH AT WAC
- Emily's thesis was on trauma and public opinion in Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway
- "The English department helped me become my most curious self! Having the opportunity to learn, and then love, coursework encouraged me to actively seek out experiences after graduation that would challenge my mind and my abilities.
CONTACT & CONNECT
Abby WargoClass of 2020 • Journalism
- Class of 2020. BA in English, minors in Creative Writing & Journalism, Editing & Publishing
- Reporter for the Capital Journal in Pierre, South Dakota
- Abby researches, interviews, writes, and take photos for both the print and digital editions of the Capital Journal.
ENGLISH AT WAC
- Abby's thesis was titled "The ‘Dreamlike Downward Career of a Girl’: Compounding Trauma in Jean Rhys’s Voyage in the Dark"
- " I can’t give the Elm enough credit for shaping me into the reporter I am today. I learned how to ask tough questions of people in authority positions and that has behooved me in my coverage of state politics here."
CONTACT & CONNECT
Tim MarcinClass of 2013 • Journalism & Digital Media
- Class of 2013. BA in English, minors in Creative Writing and Business. Winner of the Sophie Kerr prize
- MA in Journalism from Northwestern University
- Culture Writer at Mashable, NYC
- Currently, most of Tim's coverage centers on the internet and touches on the pandemic and politics. As a culture writer, he writes about pretty much anything!
ENGLISH AT WAC
- Tim's thesis was on Ernest Hemingway and nothingness.
- "Being an English taught me how to think critically and how to parse through complicated texts, which has proven invaluable in my career as a journalist.