The Timothy Maloney Scholarship
Each year, one incoming theatre student is awarded a renewable merit scholarship worth up to $20,000 per year.
Incoming students interested in any area of theatre are encouraged to apply for the Timothy Maloney Scholarship.
Established through the generosity of alumni donors in honor of departmental founder and Professor Emeritus Timothy Maloney, this $20,000 merit scholarship is awarded annually to an incoming freshman who intends to major in theatre. The scholarship is renewable for up to four years, provided the recipient maintains good academic standing (GPA ≥ 2.5) and declares a theatre major.
- Portfolio containing 6-8 images max
- Each image should be captioned with the project title and each project should have a brief explanation of 50-75 words max
- A Video of no more than 3 minutes
- Along with your video, please include a brief written explanation (300 words max)
- Essay (300-400 words)
- Prompt: Discuss your passion for theatre and how you hope to learn and grow through pursuing theatre at Washington College
Submissions may demonstrate interest or accomplishment in any theatrical discipline, including performance, design, technical production, management, dramaturgy, playwriting, directing, or any combination thereof.
- A completed Washington College Application and Timothy Maloney Scholarship Application are due by December 1st
- Students will be selected to interview by December 10th
- Interviews will take place the week of December 13th
- Students are notified of results week of January 3rd
Before 2021, this scholarship was awarded annually to a rising junior who has declared a major in theatre, based on academic excellence and promise in the field, with special consideration given to minority students.
2021 - Sophia Rooks
2020 - Lyra Abbott
2019 - Victoria Gill
2018 - Kelly Young
2017 - Kaitlyn Peacock
2016 - Rosie Alger